Working as a locum tenens physician can be an excellent opportunity for both residents and fellows. Traditionally, most physicians who work locum tenens assignments are at later points in their careers or are returning to work after retirement. However, this trend is changing, and now, more residents and fellows are moonlighting as locum tenens physicians. New physicians who have just completed their residencies or fellowships are starting out working locum tenens, too.
What Does “Locum Tenens” Mean?
Locum tenens, translated from Latin, literally means “to hold a place.” Traditionally, healthcare facilities hired locum tenens providers to fill in for other physicians during vacations or leaves of absence. Locum tenens assignments have changed over the years to include startups of new service lines and longer-term staffing needs.
Why Should I Work Locum Tenens During or After My Residency or Fellowship?
Doctors who are currently in residency or fellowship often work a second job as locum tenens to:
- Pay off medical school loans
- Build a nest egg
- Save to open a practice
- Try out different facilities
Doctors who have just finished their residencies or fellowships may choose to work locum tenens to:
- Find the ideal work setting
- Wait for a spouse to finish school or training
- Pair work with travel and see beautiful parts of the country
- Enjoy great freedom and flexibility
What are Some Other Benefits of Working Locum Tenens?
- As a locum tenens physician, you can:
- Choose when and where you work
- Learn how doctors across the country practice medicine
- Build a vast network of professional connections
- Be free from office politics, paperwork, and staff management
- Treat the less fortunate in underserved rural communities
- Let us help you get your license in any of the states you want to work locum tenens assignments
- Practice with purpose by helping in government assignments within the VA, DOD, or Indian Health Services where any state license applies
Where Can I Work as a Locum Doctor?
You can work locum tenens in inpatient, outpatient, acute care, rehabilitation, hospital or surgical facilities. You can serve as medical faculty or as the onsite physician at a sporting event. There are positions to serve as a locum provider in many specialties: family medicine, urgent care, general surgery, psychiatry, pediatrics, OB/GYN and virtually all medical specialties. We even have dentistry opportunities. Wherever healthcare facilities need doctors, you can serve.
What’s Stopping You?
With perks like competitive compensation, paid housing and travel expenses, and malpractice coverage, locum tenens can’t be beat! You’ll work as an independent contractor, so you choose your ideal location and work hours. You can try out different positions and find new and interesting assignments. You can fulfill your sense of adventure. You can keep looking for just the right spot until you find the perfect work-life balance.
And the Best Part is…
You don’t have to do the hard work of finding these positions. We will do the work for you at no cost. As your locum tenens agency, Medical Doctor Associates (MDA) can pair you with the ideal assignment!
Why Choose Medical Doctor Associates?
At Medical Doctor Associates, we are proud to offer:
- NEW Bonus Program – In addition to your hourly pay, you can earn up to a $1,500 bonus after your first 80 hours worked.*
- Comprehensive professional liability insurance – Provided by an A++ rated insurance company
- Direct deposit – Fast and easy electronic payment
- Travel and housing – Reimbursement provided
- Nationwide opportunities – Access to many locum positions through our extensive network
- Variety – A wide range of assignments, varying in length and location
- Award-winning agency – Our accolades include the Diamond Award, Inavero Best of Staffing
- Years of experience – We have been providing staffing services since 1987
- Reputation – We have a 4.8/5.0 score on accolades
- NCQA certified CVO – to assist with risk management and onboarding process
- Testimonials – Check out our excellent reviews
How Do I Get Started?
If you’re interested in locum tenens, it’s easy to get started with us.
Call 1.800.780.3500 and ask to speak with a recruiter who represents physicians. Your recruiter will guide you through every step of the locum tenens process to ensure that you find the opportunity you want while receiving the superior service you deserve.
*Must be in good standing. Ask for complete details.