Home > Facilities and Practices > Locum Tenens Process
How Does Locums Work?
Medical Doctor Associates’ knowledgeable staffing consultants strive to find the right person for your medical staffing needs, whether they are short or long-term.
It’s easy to get started with MDA. Our consultants are organized by geographic territories and specialties, so they are familiar with the cultural nuances and the healthcare needs of each area they serve. Call 1-800-780-3500 and ask to speak with a consultant who represents the specialty and geographic location you need.
You will work with one staffing consultant who will guide you throughout each assignment from start to finish. We are committed to your satisfaction and strive to make every placement opportunity a superior experience.
Step 1: Initial Consultation
- Your staffing consultant will begin the process by defining:
- Your specific needs by specialty
- The length of time for the assignment
- Other assignment details
- He/she will also:
- Explain our process
- Address any additional questions you may have
Step 2: Finding the Right Physician or Healthcare Provider
- Your consultant will employ many strategies to find the right provider who meets your specifications
- He/she will then present a provider who best suits your needs
- MDA will have already verified the provider’s credentials through CREDENT, our in-house credentials verification organization
- The provider will have also been approved for occurrence form insurance by The Medical Protective Company
- Your recruiter negotiates assignment terms
- You are under no obligation until you accept a physician for specific dates
Step 3: Upon Provider Acceptance
- Upon agreement of terms, your staffing consultant will work with you to
assist in timely completion of hospital/practice credentialing paperwork
- MDA’s in-house Travel and Housing Department will coordinate all the provider’s travel and housing logistics, if needed
Step 4: During the Assignment
- Your consultant will contact you to ensure that the assignment is going smoothly
Step 5: Payment
- Upon your approval of hours worked, MDA will bill your practice or facility
- MDA will compensate the provider as an independent contractor and issue a 1099 at year end
Step 6: Post-Assignment Evaluations
- MDA contacts the provider and facility/practice after each assignment to determine both parties’ satisfaction